Gifts for every Mommy-to-be!

Gifts for Every Mommy-To-Be!

Pregnant.......Congratulations!! Now what…?!?! Where do you start? Everyone handles and distributes the news differently. After telling my husband that he’s going to be a Daddy, we took a few days to absorb the information before telling anyone else. It was our secret for almost a week. We talked about our thoughts, plans and fears. We had been together for nine years, married for three, and planning this pregnancy- but the news was still somehow numbing.

He began thinking of names and costs, I began thinking of ways to tell our parents. They were about to become grandparents for the first time- as this will be the first grandbaby for either side of the family. We settled on buying them each a book of grandparent names (pages filled with options like Nanna, Papa, Granny, etc.). We wrote them a note in the front of the book and told them "You are being Upgraded to GRAND-parents!" and they needed to pick out a new name.

We told our parents and then asked them to keep it a secret until we were ready to tell everyone (yes- this about killed them and of course didn’t really work). I spent the first several weeks sick in the mornings and tired.

My mommy friends told me to spend the first half of my pregnancy focused on ME- and I totally recommend this to you! I read articles and blogs about what to expect during pregnancy, purchased maternity clothes, planned healthier meals, drank excessive amounts of water, and took some before pictures. I also signed up for weekly news letters from several web sites (TheBump and BabyCenter are my favorites, there are A LOT to choose from, I also liked Fit PregnancyWhat to Expect, and Everyday Family). Also, visit all the formula websites (Gerber, Enfamil, Similac, etc.) and they will send you samples, coupons, and free stuff (like bottles and books). To keep from getting my regular email bombarded with this kind of stuff, I opened another email account and provided that address to all these sites- an inbox saver!

I began looking for ideas of items I would want or need during pregnancy, and kept thinking “Why has no one made a step-by-step guide?” I quickly learned that every pregnancy is different, but there were several items that most pregnant gals need- here are just a few:

  • Peppermints to fight nausea and dry mouth, I kept a handful in the bottom of my purse all the time. I also bought some lemon drops and ginger candy since they are supposed to help with nausea, but peppermints worked the best for me.
  •  Lip Balm to combat dry lips and eye drops because my eyes and contacts were so dry.
  • Pre-natal vitamins, I take them at night because they made me sick in the morning (and they are useless if you puke them up before they dissolve in your stomach). I use the over the counter Centrum Prenatal (and there is a $2 coupon inside each box!). I plan to keep taking them while I’m breastfeeding, so stock up.
  • A good nail file- because those claws will grow like crazy!!
  • Healthy snacks are a must! I always kept some kind of snacks (like peanut butter crackers, protein bars and fruit snacks) in my purse because I seemed to get hungry at random times and felt sick if I didn’t eat quickly!
  • Travel hand sanitizer to help keep germs away when its time to eat those yummy snacks
  • Lots of WATER! Pregnant women are supposed to drink an insane amount of fluids. Every book and website differed on the amount recommended, but they all advised to drink, drink, drink (water that is!). If you feel thirsty- you aren’t drinking enough! I was told to drink at least four water bottle sized drinks (12oz) – in addition to what I drank at meals. And- drinks with caffeine don’t count because caffeine is a diuretic. Once you get in a routine it is easier, but some days I would sit down for dinner and realize I was still on my first bottle of water. So I began setting the alarm on my phone for ever two hours. If I hadn’t drunk a whole glass during the two hour period, I would sit down and drink, then reset my alarm for another two hours. That helped me remember, and I think there are some pregnancy apps that help you keep track of what you drink too. Plus, I could tell a huge difference when I didn’t drink enough fluids (I would get constipated, tired, and I felt like my eyes and mouth were sandpaper). Additionally, the books all say that drinking fluids help prevent stretch marks. I ended up buying a couple pretty water bottles that are dishwasher safe - just to make all the drinking more enjoyable!
  • Tums -to fight heart burn and my Doctor said they are safe for pregnant women and provide extra calcium.
  • Dove Nutrium Care Body Wash- My dermatologist told me this is one of the best body washes to fight dry skin, wrinkles, itches, etc. It comes in several scents or sensitive skin scent free.
  • Olay in shower lotion – (this is in the same place as the body wash at most stores) it’s thicker than body wash, like conditioner for your body. Just rub on after you bathe and then rinse off. It gives your skin some extra moisture. I just used it on my belly or anywhere that feels extra itchy.  
  • Bio Oil is what I used on my belly every day (usually when I got out of the shower and again before bed). It is supposed to prevent stretch marks. I used it on my belly every day starting at about 12weeks/2nd trimester and I didn’t get any stretch marks on my belly! It has a faint smell and you’ll feel like a greased turkey, but it worked. (I should have used it more on the back of my thighs and cleavage- those are the areas where stretch marks got me)
  • Bra Extenders saved me from buying all new bras. They are just the extra hooks that attach on your regular bras and give you a little extra breathing room as you grow. I got a three pack that has three colors: white/nude/black. I didn’t want to buy new bras every month as I grew. So I extended my current bras until after about 32 weeks when I bought nursing bras in the correct size. I knew I could use the nursing bras for my last week weeks of pregnancy and have a comfortable fit, then also use them after pregnancy too.
  • Laundry Pen’s are the tool you need if anyone is loaning you clothing. I had a couple friends who loaned me their maternity clothes and mommy brain will prevent accurate memories of who loaned which items. So I got a marker and marked my initials in the clothes I purchased and (with permission) marked initials on the tags of the clothes that were loaned to me. A laundry pen is better than a regular permanent marker because it is made to stay put during washes and won’t bleed over to the cloth. I continue to use the pen on every baby item I buy as well, since I know that one day I’ll probably loan my items to friends/family.

  • Sleep prop pillows -Towards the middle and end of my pregnancy I began to find that locating a comfortable sleep position was harder than I imagined. A great friend loaned me her Boppy pregnancy sleep pillow. This was a sleep saver (for me and hubby)! There are a lot of brands out there and I would just recommend anything that offers neck and knee support, and has a washable cover. (The washable cover aids in cleaning if you are going to share it with a friend, or incase your water beaks while you are sleeping!)  And if you are looking for a perfect gift for the girl who’s halfway through her pregnancy- this is it!

SO...If you are pregnant- I hope these items help you deal with pregnancy symptoms a little more GraceFully! 


 Or- If you are a friend/mom/sister/mother-in-law to a Mommy-to-be, feel free to use this list of items to build a gift basket for her, or purchase a pre-made basket from my Ebay Store: http://r.ebay.com/h0Xnwv



 Mommies add your comments below and let me know the items you would add to this list!



(**Just a little disclaimer- I actually use these products and DO NOT receive anything in return from the companies. Also- I'm not a medical professional, so don't take or use anything that you believe to be unsafe for you!)  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment