Packing A Well Stocked Diaper Bag

Packing a well stocked diaper bag is an art form! As my due date approached, I began packing a diaper bag, but since that time I've modified what I pack and narrowed down the necessities. My blog about packing a hospital bag has been very popular on Pinterest, and several have asked what's in my diaper bag, so here's a peak - get ready for ALOT of photos!


I've found that my diaper bag contents have changed a little as my baby has grown. Items that I included when she was a newborn  have been phased out, and here's what my bag looks like for a 6-12mo+.

I have the Carter's Diaper bag 5 piece set and this is the larger bag that I use for outings. (I keep the smaller bag with a few diapers, a small pack of wipes and a change of clothes in the trunk of my car.) The smaller one is perfect for just those little runs into a store or to church, but  if we're going to be gone for the day, on vacation, or if she'll be staying at someone else's home, I send this big bag.

 Part of having a well stocked bag is being able to fit everything in the bag
     AND find it when you need it!

So here's my step-by-step process to putting together a perfect diaper bag.


  •  First (and arguably most important): DIAPERS, Wipes & disposable changing table cover/mat. I prefer for the diapers to be stacked upright so I can see at a glance how many are remaining. These disposable pads have saved us- as there have been times we've changed her on floors and even in the trunk. The pads protect her from the surface we lay her on, and protect the surface from whatever may come out of her. Best of all,  its reusable until it gets dirty -then just throw it away! They are waterproof and can also be laid in the bottom of a car seat to protect from a wet mess.    

 


  • Important Paperwork: This diaper bag has a clear pouch that's attached to the bag. I use this pouch to hold a copy of her health insurance card, emergency contact list, and any special medical instructions (allergies, immunization record, etc.) When a family member is caring for her, I just show them this pouch and pray they don't have a reason to need it!

  • Bag of medications, creams and first aid items. This bag is from Dr. Mom but any little bag would work. I like this one because of the clear front side which makes it easy to see what's inside and it comes with several handy items. I use this pouch to hold all the hygiene items and medications. It zips up securely, protects other items from leaks, and fits easily inside the big bag.  





  • Extra clothes: When she was an infant I packed 2-3 extra outfits because blow-out diapers were more common. I highly recommend packing each change of clothes in a gallon size Ziplock bag. Generally it makes the clothing easier to find in the diaper bag and grab when needed (pack a whole outfit in each bag from shirt, pants, socks, bib), AND the clothes that are being taken off the baby will probably need to be sealed in a mess free plastic bag! I keep a long sleeve top and short sleeve top because Kentucky weather is too unpredictable. Now just roll the bag and add it to the diaper bag.
     

  • Next throw in a few all purpose cloths. I keep a nice looking burp cloth for wiping drool and basic rag for wiping anything else (we use Gerber cloth diaper squares because they wash easy, can be fashioned into a diaper/bib/shopping cart cover/nursing cover/etc. in case of emergency, and can just be thrown away if necessary)

  • Feeding items: This is where the age of you child will be reflected. When she was an infant, I just carried food for me! But now that she's eating a mixture of baby foods and table foods, I pack extra gear. I keep disposable bibs because sometimes you just don't want to pack home a nasty bib that will sit in a hot car for hours before being cleaned. I also like the baby place mats that stick to the tables. Our daughter will just toss a plate in the floor but she's too independent to let us feed her. So we can stick these mats to the table in front of her and put pieces of food for her to pick up on the clean surface. (Some restaurants are now carrying these disposable mats with their advertising - Yea for Chick-Fil-A !)  I just keep a good mixture of baby food, teething cookies, and snacks. These items are continually changing based on our baby's tastes. But I always pack them in a gallon size Ziplock because it makes it easy to grab and take into a restaurant, and it keeps crumbs out of the bottom of my diaper bag.


  • Lastly- Don't forget to access those outside pockets for the items you use often. This bag has a deep outside front pocket that runs the width of the bag, along with smaller outside pockets on either side.

    On one side I keep "mommy items" like nursing pads, nursing cream, chap-stick, and hygiene products in a little bag. That's also where I keep a drink and snacks for me. I did keep my Udder Cover in this pocket, but I've found it's better for me to keep it in my purse because my purse stays with me and sometimes I need it when I pump.



    On the other side I keep items the baby may need while we're out (extra paci, sunglasses, sun screen, shoes, gloves, etc.)
     
    In the front pocket I keep: paci wipes, hand sanitizer, nose wipes, and disposable diaper bags.

TA-DA -- Your bag is packed (and can even zip closed!)


               I usually clip some toys onto a handle and then we are ready to roll! 


I look forward to your comments and ideas! What am I missing? What do you carry that you wouldn't leave home without?


*Just a little note-  I have provided links to Amazon for several of my favorite products. I have an Amazon Mom account and therefore receive some benefits of Amazon Prime - like FREE SHIPPING!! Which I totally recommend as I shop on Amazon often. I have also enrolled in Amazon Associates program which means that I have a link/ad to Amazon on the side of my blog and any items you purchase after clicking through the link/ad will benefit me. Now- be certain that I will not be able to quit my day job based on this income, but it does provide me an incentive to keep purchasing new items through Amazon and then provide you with a true review! Thanks for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment